Friday, March 09, 2007

OKADA RIDERS! The most popular and essential transport in everyday life in Lagos

You cannot say you had been in Lagos if you haven't tried to go around the city on an Okada. I'm conscious that transport in this city is a big problem for thousand of people that sometimes must to travel for hours to reach their job everyday, and okadas is for most of them the best solution for mobility, is cheaper and faster than a taxi, and is fresher than a minibus, but let me talk about it from another point of view. Some years ago (actually 18) I had read a book called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values where the author (Robert Pirsig) in one of the firsts chapters talk about the difference between to cross a land inside a vehicle, and when you do the same thing riding a bike. Inside a car you are physically separated from the environment and your perception of the world around you is filtered by the windows of your car, watching the reality like in a screen. From the other side when you are traveling in a bike you are a part of the environment you are crossing, you can feel the smells, the temp of the air, you can here the noises and look at the people face to face. Well I just can say that it’s true, and I recommend to try but first I will give to you some recommendations: Is important to choose the right okada if you don’t want to transform your supposed relaxed experience in a moto gp trial :). First choose one with a bike in good conditions. Second look at the okada rider, I personally prefer not too young and not too old, that’s means experience and more conscience. Then establish the price of the trip before and once in the road just remember to keep your knees close to bike especially in proximity of traffic.

Well my first experience was some month ago, from Adeola Odeku to my house. People were looking at me like “Hey! Look at that Oyimbo (white guy) on an Okada!” It was a very hot day and my company’s drivers were not around. This is my great opportunity, I thought, just a whistling and my okada rider was ready to pick me. Once the trip starts you can feel the breeze and the hot of the day is past for few minutes. I had arrived to my destination very fast, and like a child in a luna park I didn’t want to stop. Once in my house I realized I didn’t have little notes of money (my deal was 30 Naira), but one of the drivers of the company was there, James, and he told me with a smile in his face, “Don’t worry Sir. I’ll give the rest for you”.


Take a virtual tour from Mega Plaza through Ozumba to Musa Balarabe. Price:60 Nairas ;)


Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Have you tried going for a ride on one yet :-O

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

Of course! many times .. the last time? 5 minutes ago from Petroleum towers to my house ;)

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

I know Biyi, that's why I give some indications. I agree is better to select an area like VI or Ikoyi and in the weekends for tourist purposes
Thanks,

Raffaele

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Elron said...

I often used to hop an okada for short trips from the Eco back to our compound on Etim Inyang when I lived/worked there in the 90's ... gotta admit i was a bit too scared to take one much farther, but then again, the decrepit 504 cabs didn't give that much safer of a feeling, lol. Fun memories ... whats a bottle of Gulder cost poolside at the Eco these days?

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

True Elron, I also use okada for short trips and I try to do it specially during weekends when the traffic is not too much.
About the Goulder I can say I prefer Star :) (even is the post effects are very strong...) and I think in Eko should be not less than 400 Nairas (Nawaho!)

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Stumbled onto your blog from Flickr. Great job! And, your English is perfect. It makes your blog accessible to a larger audience.

 
At 1:32 AM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

Thanks Femi for your comments. I just hope to give a little contribution to give a different and good image of the country to the people that never been in Naija before. Raff

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home