Thursday, February 01, 2007

Is time to talk

This is my first attempt to write in English in my blog,
so I apologize in advance for any mistakes.

After all these months without making any comments, I think it is time to talk about my new country, in fact my new life. From my first day in Nigeria, I was thinking of writing about this country, its wonderful people and all the experiences I'm having here. It's not easy for me to find a starting point, it's not easy to summarize in just a few words all the experiences I'm having here every day., But I can say that every day I learn something new about Nigeria, Nigerians and life in general. Let’s start with my new hobby, surfing. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered Tarkwa Bay, a little bay near Lagos, a 15 minutes ride by boat from Ikoyi. There, I met Soji my surfing teacher and also a friend, who let me borrow his surfing board and showed me how to ride my first waves., Well actually I did not ride it but at least I learned how to paddle and take the waves in body surfing style :D. Anyway, surfing is a lot of fun, however, what I really wanted to tell you about was how Nigerians are . Here is my real story, I was trying to keep a wave when I started to feel sick , my stomach hurt and I needed to go to the bathroom urgently! Hey, it is true, don’t laugh, it was terrible! I asked Soji for a place to go and he said: “follow me, let’s go to my house, it is just five minutes away”. I didn’t have my shoes there, so he took his own shoes and told me: “Take this Raff, the sand is too hot!”, then he saw the pain in my face, and he understood I didn’t have time to go to his home,Thus he asked one of the neighbors for help. Of course they helped me , and the “Mama” told me to feel free to take a shower and relax. What can I say? I’m talking about real humble people who gave me all their hospitality. Let’s clarify this, I paid for my surfing lesson, and I gave some money to the Mama who helped me, but I didn't pay for their gentility and the Mama's warm smile.

That’s it, simple stories, simple things, simple lessons that I learn every day in my new Country and that I wanted to share with all of you.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5:09 PM , Blogger Eiki Usagi said...

I'm going to try to answer in english too :).

It's nice to see that there's still good people around this crazy world.

I'm happy that you have been welcome there.

Riding waves WoW :D

Hugs : Eiki

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

I told you Belen ... I'm trying to ride waves, I'm tryong to :)

Thanks for your commentary and also thanks to Lenna for her corrections to my Italo-Espan-Glish.

Kisses Raff

 
At 12:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You'll never know how happy it makes me to hear someone making positive comments about my country.

Glad you're having a good time and of course I wish I was there with you

Regards,
Taiwo

P.S. Your English is very good!

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Raffaele Bello said...

You know that I express what I really feel and for me is a pleasure to speak about Naija, and let me tell you I'm start to be tired of the paranoic idea that people have about this Country. Is true you must to be prudent, but tell me where you don't need to be prudent? You really walk in any area of London, Paris or Rome at any time in the night? Bros, I don't think so.
About my English actually a have a trick..f7 of my MS Office and a friend from USA that suggested me some corrections :)
Hope to see you soon!
Raff

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home